Welcome to the Wicked Stage

This is the Wicked Stage, a blog of theatre reviews by the students of the Watershed School. What happened was this: I was approached by Jason Berv, who runs the school, to create a week-long theatre class for students, using my perspective as a playwright, actor, teacher, and theatre critic. I decided to have the class focus on theatre from the point of view of a critic. I used the model of nytheatre.com, where I where I was a senior reviewer for several years, as the template for the kind of reviews we would write. So each day the students and I talk about theatre and reviewing and all the elements that comprise a play, and each night we go to a different theatre, take backstage tours, attend shows, and have talk backs with the cast after the show. So far, we've seen Mariela in the Desert at the Denver Center Theatre Company, Hamlet- Prince of Darkness at the National Theatre Conservatory, and Opus at the Curious Theatre. Tonight, we see our last show, Nine, at the Arvada Center. In the blogs that follow, you'll see the reviews that the students have written about the shows.
Enjoy.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Nine

reviewed by Luke the Nuke

I am not a fan of musicals. I have never liked them and I have not seen one to prove my thoughts wrong. I was hoping that Nine would change all that. The storyline sounds intriguing enough. A famous director, Guido Contini (played by Randal Keith), goes to a spa with his wife, Luisa (played by Megan Van De Hay) to try and save their troubled marriage. Guido is a womanizer, there is really no other way to put it, and his mistress, Carla Albanese (played by Anna Hanson) decides to follow him to the spa to tell him some great news. Guido is supposed to have a script written by the next day for his new movie, and madness ensues when his producer, Lilliane La Fluer (played by Zina Mercil), comes to the spa demanding Guido to get his script done by tomorrow, when the crew is coming.
I had very high hopes for this production. From what I had heard there was going to be humor, sexuality, emotion, and everything else you would want from a musical or play. I was sorely disappointed. This play lacked tension and sexuality (and you know it is bad when an 8th grade boy says that). It also just lacked that Intangible x-factor that any good play has. Director Rod A. Landsberry took what is supposedly a good musical (I have not see the movie or any other rendition of it, and the musical has won 5 Tony awards) and butchered it. The actors just didn't seem entertained, and it made me feel bored and glad when it was over. When the actors sang, they hit most of the notes and it sounded fine, but they were acting like Eric Clapton and just standing there. The only performance that I liked was that of Ronni Gallup, who played Sarraghina, a whore. She was the only one who was really into her role, and even though she was a big woman, she was sexy in her movements and I loved it when she sang "Be Italian". I disliked the set very much, it felt like someone had taken a tetris game and jumbled up the blocks, throwing them everywhere. About a quarter of the time I could not see someone because they were being blocked by a piece of it. The one good thing about the set is that it distracted me from the overall boringness of the play. My group thought that it was so bad we were the only ones who were not standing up while clapping during curtain call.
This play was the one that I was the most excited about coming into the week. I was very disappointed and it took much assurance on my teacher, Kelly's part to tell me that the normal rendition is much better and that I should see it. For your own sake, don't see this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment